Gear Lever

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Re: What Bill has said and most unlikely but the spacers left and right, F51/4 and F51/5 are different lengths. Is it possible you have a left spacer fitted on the right. The left spacer has a cut away portin on the large diameter end to clear the primary chaincase. As I said, unlikely but a maybe.
I think I got them the right way round Ed, longer one on brake side, shorter one gear change side.
Cheers
Dave

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ed, Can you take a photo from above of yours ?, Cheers Bill.
Left side - long spacer:
left1.jpg

left2.jpg

Right side short spacer:
right1.jpg

These are aluminium. I have some steel ones in the shed, they weigh a ton.:eek:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think I got them the right way round Ed, longer one on brake side, shorter one gear change side.
Cheers
Dave
Just a thought as a "left" fitted to the right side would move the hanger out further.
Getting the controls in the optimum place for yourself makes a bike feel more enjoyable and easier to ride.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not sure if you were having a laugh Bill, but the reason the rubber is so far out is because I made a longer shaft for it to sit on. :)
Cheers
Dave
I ment the rubber on the footrest, If you look at Eric's its snug up to the inner end,
For me the ball on the end of the foot rest, To stop the rubber coming off is too big !,
I grind a bit off, Also if the rubber is old and hard, It's a begger to get them on and off.
I do like a laugh, But not today.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dave looking at your photo, I think the swinging bit , Pivot still needs to bring the rest more forward,
Which would make it more in line with the gear lever,
Like I said before, If you tap a hole and use a grub screw, Sorry I don't know how to word it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just to prove a point, Jam a thin screw or bit of metal, Or Wood ! :) .
To stop the footrest it's self from swinging back, So your foot is pointing towards the gear lever rubber, Instead of away from it.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave looking at your photo, I think the swinging bit , Pivot still needs to bring the rest more forward,
Which would make it more in line with the gear lever,
Like I said before, If you tap a hole and use a grub screw, Sorry I don't know how to word it.

I`ve done the grub screw like you suggested Bill, which has helped a lot.
Might not have pushed the rubber on enough but the side of my foot is touching the F52 hanger already, but I will check like you suggest about the ball bit.
I think I haven`t helped by making the inboard spacers that I made so that the nuts are near the end of the bar.
Have taken a couple of photos, still think the pattern f52 isn`t helping, might have to keep an eye open for a genuine one.
IMG_20191210_203655.jpg
IMG_20191210_203832.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just a thought as a "left" fitted to the right side would move the hanger out further.
Getting the controls in the optimum place for yourself makes a bike feel more enjoyable and easier to ride.
Ed, I agree about getting comfortable but I think I need the footpeg closer to the engine & gearlever rather than further out.
Think I haven`t helped the cause by putting the spacers in as in my post above.
Going to try it with the spacer out & see what happens.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Still don't look right to me, Although it's a long time since I had standard rests.
Any chance of making the alloy distance bit shorter ?, I wonder if you have a longer than standard one there ?.
The bit that the footrest hangs from.

Could give it a go Bill, comparing my set up to Ed & Erik`s it looks like my hanger isn`t going into the spacer as much as theirs is, probably because it`s not a very good one, so that isn`t helping everything to line up.
Cheers
Dave