Gear Lever

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I found a photo on a web site, Didn't remember parking my Bike on a wall !.
Then I saw the Footrest, Just like Dave's !!,
It was after the Begger threw me over the top at Mallory Park.

Attachments

• bill's lightning 1983 (2).jpg
    bill's lightning 1983 (2).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 32

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I don't know if this helps but the spacers F51/5 are not all of the same length. The earlier/(original?) ones seem to be a tad shorter than the ones supplied recently. Hugo.
That's helpful to know Hugo.
Quite amazing how much variation there can be with components on the Vincents, still keeps us on our toes no pun intended !
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
A photo of the grub screw mod.
If you have had a minor bump at some time it is likely that the hanger will have a bit of a twist which makes the footrest sit a bit out of square. (Mine is slightly twisted.) The grub screw made it very easy to set the footrest at 90º to the bike centre line.
View attachment 31440
Ed,
I'd taken Bill's advice & fitted a grub screw, really was the main thing that has helped, that & removing the spacer I'd fitted.
Not perfect but I can always have another go, at least I know what I'm aiming for thanks to all the advice.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I found a photo on a web site, Didn't remember parking my Bike on a wall !.
Then I saw the Footrest, Just like Dave's !!,
It was after the Begger threw me over the top at Mallory Park.

I like the look of your bike Bill, very nice.
This is probably opening a can of worms but I noticed you've got a breather on the Primary filler cap, is it a worthwhile mod ?
Thought I'd seen someone else mention they'd drilled the edge of the cap so they had a concealed breather.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
No not really, Greg says it should breath through the Dyn' hole But some like me seal them off.
And with the L/ning it's sealed anyway, No Dyn'.
Just a bodge !, I had another big breather on the other side, T/case, She had a hard life.
With race Bikes they had big piston clearance, Which gave lots of blow by ? = Crankcase pressure.
Shame it was not as fast as my Special, Didn't have time to Play, Just race, At that time in my life.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
No not really, Greg says it should breath through the Dyn' hole But some like me seal them off.
And with the L/ning it's sealed anyway, No Dyn'.
Just a bodge !, I had another big breather on the other side, T/case, She had a hard life.
With race Bikes they had big piston clearance, Which gave lots of blow by ? = Crankcase pressure.
Shame it was not as fast as my Special, Didn't have time to Play, Just race, At that time in my life.

Mine is sealed as I've fitted one of Norman's Walkernators, so don't think it will be doing any breathing through there

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ed,
I'd taken Bill's advice & fitted a grub screw, really was the main thing that has helped, that & removing the spacer I'd fitted.
Not perfect but I can always have another go, at least I know what I'm aiming for thanks to all the advice.
Cheers
I like the look of your bike Bill, very nice.
This is probably opening a can of worms but I noticed you've got a breather on the Primary filler cap, is it a worthwhile mod ?
Thought I'd seen someone else mention they'd drilled the edge of the cap so they had a concealed breather.
Cheers
Dave
As a lot of people know, Mine was just a box of broken bits from Africa, Rapide ish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Santa has sent me an early present, now I`ve got plenty of options, just need to sort out the linkage like Simon suggested.
Then I`ll decide what set up best suits me comfort wise.
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191221_122201.jpg

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Have fitted the Mike Breeding bits & used Rose Joints as a linkage.
Feels pretty comfortable & my foot is in a more natural position.
Footrest is now parallel & Horizontal.
Was pleasantly surprised at how well the Cad coating polished up.
Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191228_155126.jpg
IMG_20191228_155208.jpg