FT: Frame (Twin) FT66/1

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am now in assembly stage of my Shadow. Assembling FT66/1 according to diagrams there is a LOT of end float. Is this normal or have I missed something

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I am now in assembly stage of my Shadow. Assembling FT166/1 according to diagrams there is a LOT of end float. Is this normal or have I missed something
What is the part name? I can't find an FT166/1. I may have missed it.

vibrac

VOC Member
FT166 is the torque arm clip and I am not finding a /1 is this what you talk about?
I cant see how that can any have real end float issues?
The only other 166 item is an ET166

timetraveller

VOC Member
What is a 'lot' of end float on this part, the rear brake cross over shaft? It clearly needs to have some end float when the nuts are tightened up but that should be thous. If you have a few thou then that shouldn't matter although a shim or two might help. If you have quarter of an inch, say, then it sounds like something is missing.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have about 12 thou. I haven't rebuilt a complete bike for some years and am used to dealing with less than 5 thou. I guess the shaft self centralises, yes?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I guess it has a lot to do with how the square drive has been machined onto the shaft, if you want to reduce the 12 thou end float you could always dress the square drive back a few thou with a swiss file.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Either that or put a shim in there and leave enough clearance for grease to just squeeze out and for water and dirt not to enter.