FT: Frame (Twin) Front Mudguard Wrestling

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Goodmorning,
I have been re installing my now re stoved steel touring mudguards.
Back one with some light adjustments went in fine.

I am current wrestling with the front guard.
Loose fitted two top mounts and fitted the front and rear hoops all still good at this stage.
Fitted near side to the fork still good.
Off side aligning the hoops to attach to the fork leg single handed is proving difficult.
Rear tight both will align separately but not together.
Am I missing something here guard is centralised aligning well but not co-operating.
Does anyone have any advice experience of same?
I expected that after stoving they may change shape a little.
Did not want to start enlarging the holes in the mounting tabs on the hoops.
Thanks
Al

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
With my original steel mudguards there were some amateur looking dents or rather creases in the mudguards. These were actually put in by the works. On the front guard they were at the bottom stay where it changes from the curve to the valence. On the rear guard they were in a similar position at the top of the RFM adjacent to the spring boxes mount and again at at the bottom at the RFM pivot. Forty years ago when I sent them for re-enamelling the enamaller very kindly but erroneously knocked these dents out so that the guards no longer fitted.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Yes fortunately Gerry from C and G coatings rang me once the guards were stripped back to metal to go through the usual, if I wanted any holes blanked off or dents removed.
He identified all the factory fitter dents left those alone and just took out the little wear dings here and there.
I must say they did a great job and nice people to deal with.
They have worked with lots of Vincent stuff over the last fifty years.
Very profesional old school set up they do some lovely Vincent tank refurbishment as well as the stove enameling.
Hard to find craftsmen, I don't recommend folks as a matter of course for the usual reasons but C and G in Liverpool were great.

I am glad to say that at the end of round five in the mudguard wrestling I achieved a perfect fit and spacing.
I am embarrassed to say I had the tabs on the lower front hoop facing the wrong direction, I had put them the same direction as the burmabrite guards on my Comet and they did not fit with ease.

Correct direction opposite of the burmabrite blades, steel with tabs down at rear and tabs towards back at front.
This is the first Rapide with steel touring guards conserved so I have awarded myself a by ball and thank goodness did not resort to the drill had thought of it in a dark wont be beaten moment....

We live and we learn and I am enjoying learning about my Vincents.
Al
Al