H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front hub issue

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just putting together the front wheel of my Shadow rebuild and I have hit a problem. The hub is either an original or an early VOCS item. Fitting the Timken cups I have a clearance of 145 thou on the LHS to hub rim and 50 thou on the speedo side. I want to fit Lightning plates with brass grease retainers and that raises a major problem. Anyone else had an issue with front hubs not machined symmetrically?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Well, what can i say.

There are all sorts of hubs arround.
And i just machined a new hollow axle to suit.

But a bit jigeling with narrow wide cones.
And narrow wide races is possible.

And you can mix the lot.
The tapers are intermixable.

Some might say no. But its not rocket science here with low revs.

Cheers.

Lots of fun
Albertoooo

Albervin

VOC Member
Having pulled the wheel to pieces it appears someone has shaved 100thou from the speedo side of the hub. Why?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Alyn, just replace the hub with a new item, to fix any issue later is like having to strip the engine to fix the crank, way too much effort. Cheers........Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
New hub already ordered. I never take short cuts when building my bikes. Do it once, do it right then enjoy the ride.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
That's easy when money is not a problem, in my youth, I raided the air-raid shelter where we hoarded all the Comets that we picked up for a couple of quid usually minus the head as twin owners were modifying there "B's" & "C's"