ET: Engine (Twin) Front cylinder cooler

Chris Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
A neighboring section had a 1BA Helicoil kit in their section tool stash and they were kind enough to lend it to me. The carb is now repaired and the bike is running beautifully. I did contemplate Helicoiling the good carb but common sense prevailed and I adopted the 'if it ain't broke.....' philosophy.
A big 'thank you' to Alan and to all of the contributors of this thread.
Over and out!

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The front head on my twin is always hotter than the rear. I put this down to the touring spec, that wide front mudguard creates a slight vacuum between the cases and mudguard. I know this as oil mist from the standard short breather tube was all over the back of the mudguard, how else can it go forwards at speed?.
I run the front very slightly richer and one step harder plug. (N9y rear, N7Y front ). She seems happy enough at that. Plug colours the same.
Terry, East Yorks.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
This was noted fifty years ago in MPH. Like God the airflow around our engines works in mysterious ways as evidenced by oil leaks that against all logic can travel forwards under the engine.

vibrac

VOC Member
And there is the apocryphal story of the gold star at the clubman's TT with oil on the front mudguard (now what book did I read that in?)

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
The front head on my twin is always hotter than the rear. I put this down to the touring spec, that wide front mudguard creates a slight vacuum between the cases and mudguard. I know this as oil mist from the standard short breather tube was all over the back of the mudguard, how else can it go forwards at speed?.
I run the front very slightly richer and one step harder plug. (N9y rear, N7Y front ). She seems happy enough at that. Plug colours the same.
Terry, East Yorks.

If you look at early vee-twin engines they commonly have an oil deflector under the rear cylinder and have oil pumped into the front. This is because the rear cylinder is over oiled and the front starved due to piston motion phasing and is evidenced in the front cylinder experiencing slightly greater bore wear in high-mileage examples. Oil also cools the underneath of pistons so given Vincent twins don't have an oil deflector on the rear cylinder might contribute to number 1 runningr cooler.