ET: Engine (Twin) Fitting Half Time Pinion Key

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Had to fit a new half time pinion and key which is slightly to large to fit either in the pinion or crank.

Any tips or procedure for fitting this, obviously it would need to be a good fit to prevent timing movement of the pinion.

regs

vibrac

VOC Member
File carefully just like a Stevenage fitter
I put a 1/16" taper on the top front edge before tapping in.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Boy its slow today
Edit above 'front' should read 'top front edge' and inin is in

ossie

VOC Member
Thats the way i did it mine was loose and so i used a bigger piece of key steel and made it a good fit squaring up the shaft slot first then the pinion slot .A good set of needle files is the way to go.
OSSIE Ex Toolmaker.
File carefully just like a Stevenage fitter
I put an 1/16" taper on the front before tapping inin.

Rob H

VOC Member
Ok guys thanks,

Should the key be a snug push fit with finger pressure or slightly tighter and tap in with a light hammer?

Also daft question, just setting up the cam timing, when looking at the engine from the timing chest side is the normal rotation of the crank clockwise or anti clockwise?

Rob H

VOC Member
Ok thanks guys, I guessed that as it would make the rear (No1) cylinder fire first but just wanted to make sure
regs

greg brillus

VOC Member
The key should be a good fit and not slide in by hand........As Tim said, bevel the lead in edges first, then using a small 1/8" pin punch drift it into the aligned slot in the gear and shaft........some slight slithers of steel broaching away is normal........Just clean these away........A loose key will get worse quickly and cause a noise like a big end gone as the gear rocks back and forth on the shaft.......I've seen this happen a few times and it needs rapid attention or else the slot in the shaft will become worn..........Cheers.