FF: Forks Fitting Front Mudguards

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I bought my C Shadow it had original type Touring guards fitted. These were incorrect per original factory build sheet. I am now trying to fit the original style alloy guards and have a problem. Having trial fitted TWO sets of stays I now have a nice mix that sits well on the alloy mudguard. Amazingly there was nearly 1" difference between the two sets; both front and rear! My issue now is to have the guard sit square on the two "L" brackets from the brake steady plate. The rear "L" bracket is firm and square when the front and rear stays are set. The front "L" bracket is clear by nearly 3/64" so would require spacers and a longer hex screw to fix. My answer would be to elongate the holes of the bracket so it sits on the guard. Any advice and input welcome as always.. And yes, I have marked the guard with centre line and 3/4 line for the holes. The guard is coated with adhesive paper "paint liner" and has marks all over it. Nothing at the moment will allow both L brackets to settle on the guard.
Thanks for your input.

Albervin

VOC Member
You could make up a new L shaped bit , It's only alloy I think.
Bill, the ones on my A and B are alloy but these are steel on the C. As the elongated holes will be largely hidden I am tending for the easy road. Spoke to a well known restorer in Australia just now and he confirmed that all the people who assembled Vincents must have been "fitters". I have no problems with that as long as the final object is fit for purpose.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
All mine are alloy, Much more easy to bend and drill,
Your friend was right,
It has always been thus !!, Still bloody is !.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Bill, the ones on my A and B are alloy but these are steel on the C. As the elongated holes will be largely hidden I am tending for the easy road. Spoke to a well known restorer in Australia just now and he confirmed that all the people who assembled Vincents must have been "fitters". I have no problems with that as long as the final object is fit for purpose.
A bit of fitting would be all covered up I think and as you say easier fix But as Bill says could make slightly longer bracket Even in steel not so difficult

Attachments

• 1E4EA525-15E8-438C-87DA-B96AF4084632.jpeg
    1E4EA525-15E8-438C-87DA-B96AF4084632.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 19

Albervin

VOC Member
A bit of fitting would be all covered up I think and as you say easier fix But as Bill says could make slightly longer bracket Even in steel not so difficult
Not sure what those brackets are. The bracket for the front guard has two holes; one for the headlight stays and one for the balance beam. And then I am a bit lazy... I have two sets of brackets so let's just do some milling. This is just the pre-cursor for the rear guard which can be an absolute bastard! Lots of fitting, fettling and swearing plus only a little bit of drilling.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Those brackets were made to fit remember there were 19-20 or 21 inch wheels to be fitted
My 'Touring' steel front mudguard has always had one steel bracket at the rear of the balance beam plate and an alloy one at the front, presumable because of the extra weight. I believe these are original. I have never checked the dimensions against the two alloy brackets for alloy guards. Perhaps they were different.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I was ultimately happy just to get my Birmabright front mudguard
on after gnashing of the teeth. Personally I sure like the looks and
handling of the 21" front wheel. There's no huge gap between the
tire and its cover.