E: Engine Draining Rapide sump

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
There seems to be a lot of oil in the sump of my C Rapide.
I have it on the side stand to drain and there’s half a spread tub in there.
The bike hasn’t been used much.
Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 97B96CC9-8D58-41AD-A514-72443E2F2D09.jpeg
    97B96CC9-8D58-41AD-A514-72443E2F2D09.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 18

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Usually sloppy clearance between oil pump plunger and its sleeve, or the sleeve in the crankcase bore it lives in, or both! A trap for the novice is to top up the oil tank before draining the sump; this is the quickest way to give a Rapide a black engine. Use your bike more and sump filling becomes less of a problem- as long as oil is actually circulating, that is. Clean around and below the sump plug before draining and shove the oil back in the tank.

danno

Non-VOC Member
A trap for the novice is to top up the oil tank before draining the sump; this is the quickest way to give a Rapide a black engine.
That's what I've been doing. Thought it a bit odd that the level was going down slowly without using it. 'Black engine' I assume means from oil leaks.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont think that amount is anything to worry about after all as I have told many an ACU scrutineer the catch tank under my bike may look very small but the rules (drafted with modern oil in sump bikes in mind) says "to hold the contents of the sump" and that's about half a spread tub.
I have had over a litre out of a long standing twin.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I just started my Rapide for the first time since last November. First I drained the sump. I think almost all the oil was in there. Since it looked clean, it was still a golden colour, I poured it back in the tank and put a little down each push rod tube as well. I few primer kicks and then one good kick and it started. Then I rode it up the street and remembered what a great bike it is. I think it takes at least a month of sitting for all the oil to leak into the sump. I have never found it a problem.