E: Engine Decompressors

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I get older, I often think of building a Soft !, Vin', But I can't do it, For me the point of having a VIn'
Is for the thrill of winding it on , At some time in a ride, Often when I get nearer home :) .
Also I think of building a Grot Bike, So if it's wet, It won't need cleaning, I had a BMW K100 for that, Years ago,
A Bike I regret selling.

vibrac

VOC Member
I
As I get older, I often think of building a Soft !, Vin', But I can't do it, For me the point of having a VIn'
Is for the thrill of winding it on , At some time in a ride, Often when I get nearer home :) .
Also I think of building a Grot Bike, So if it's wet, It won't need cleaning, I had a BMW K100 for that, Years ago,
A Bike I regret selling.
bought a K100 last year Ben asked me to pick up one for spares when I got there it was in fine condition with 23K miles stood in a shed for 30 years £400 needless to say it did not go for spares it went to the Isle of man two up for the Manx VMCC eligible. Its only draw back its too good for a grot bike.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Erik, I am only a little heavier and slightly shorter (130kg and 1.67m) than you, but maybe mine's a bit lower compression and it is definitely a bit worn. I've had big kickstart bikes for the last 50 years and never mastered using a valve lifter so have had plenty of practice.

erik

VOC Member
Hello Chris ! I used to ride KIckstart motorcycles from 1978 onwards.NSU ,Horex,Norton,Triumph and Vincent.My experience with a Vincent twin is very fresh.I have new 8,5/1 Pistons with new valves in overhauled heads running in for about 1000 miles.Regards Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have no real idea what's in mine, all I know is it has two front heads with the inlet ports opened out to about 34mm" I've done 15k on it, the previous owner about 5k, the one before that was renowned sidecar racer Chris Williams so there could be anything in there as it's a bitsa, I do know there aren't any race cams in though as I have MK2's in my Norvin and you can easily tell. It has 32mm MK1 concentrics and a modern BTH mag. Flood the carbs and bring it up to compression and it will normally go first kick

erik

VOC Member
My Rapide is fitted with megacycle cams.The engine runs very smooth without any rattling and is very powerful,as far as I opened the throttle with only 1000 miles since the rebuilt.

Alan J

VOC Member
As Chris writes,he is able to start the twin without desompressors.I can only start my comet without.I am 185cm tall and 120kg and can not start my twin without the decompressor! What is wrong?Erik
Eat more cake, Erik!- thanks for the calendar!