E: Engine Crankshaft Balance Method

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Lot of reading,.
But heres what i do.
I have them in more vinnies at 51-54 percent.
Of your calculated weight.
I do take of weight by drilling up the 3 holes on top , do not ever
IMG-20200117-WA0005.jpeg
put tungsten or lead.... On the counterweight its already as heavey as it is .....
Even when i have to take more weight i just mill between the holes on the outside.

Cheers

Vincent

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I would take the easy route as mentioned by Bruce.
Those new Maughans cranks aren't too bad for price and they are dynamically balanced. Also less than 1 thou per side runout according to Maughans and those who have checked them.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
In educating myself on balance factor I encountered three different versions for the temp. bob weight calculation. These varying formulas must contribute to the confusion around balance factor and the wild range of numbers claimed as ideal for a given engine.
The calculation used by Hines, the computerized dynamic balancer manufacturer, is simple and seems to be the most widely used.

The temporary bobweight should be made equal to( 100 % of the rod big end weights complete with bearings and collars)plus the desired balance factor x (the rod small ends + complete piston weights).

I hope this doesn't shoot any holes in Vincent Brake's post above, don't think it does?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Not at all mr Glenliman.

Before assembly i try to balance a flywheel on an knife edge
But i failed. Could not keep all my balls up....

Anyway dynamic balance ing is always the best.

We have to make dummy crankpins than, as not to spoil the interference fit.
But nice to do once.