T: Fuel Tank Correct seal for T28/2 Lever style Petrol Tap

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorry, just noticed there is a lock nut with that tap. But then, the flat seals do not prevent seeping fuel along the thread down for wetting the engine case. You´d better apply some threadlock onto the thread as well or a few windings of teflon tape may seal the lot. Most traditional taps just got the hexagon plus flat face to sit on the flat of the tank. So then these Dowty seals will do, except the orientation is next matter. No question for me , just have some Loctite on threads, worked each time safely.

Vic

Richard Beard

VOC Member
The seals in the photo are Dowty seals.
The Triumph part number to which Keith refers are Stat-o-Seals and are much better for this application as there is a greater circumferential movement within which the seal seals--- so much easier to get the tap in the position you want it.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Richard Beard

VOC Member
The Dowty seals were originally designed for sealing aircraft landing gear hydraulics in WWII.
They are designed to seal between two flat surfaces.
The Stat-O-Seal seals in the same way but in addition as the locking nut is tightened it forces the rubber insert against the threads so preventing seepage along the threads.
So no thread sealant required.

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Some great discussion glad it was not just me that struggled with these.

From the responses, looks like the Triumph method of using the Stat-o-seal (an evolution of the Dowty...) and a thin flat washer between the locknut and seal as per Triumph method is an accepted method, and the exact parts are listed on the feked site below. I dont think sealant is needed on the threads with this method..

Interestingly the feked site calls them Dowty but they look more like Stat-o-seal type and they cross reference to the Triumph part number mentioned earlier. If I am not mistaken the Stat-o-seal has a more o-ring style rubber which protudes and gives more squish when tightened:

Seals (Triumph part number 70-7351):
thumbnail_IMG_1703-600.jpg

Flat washer (Triumph part number 83-0002):
w0002b.jpg

Thanks for everyones help!

Regards,

Julian

Richard Beard

VOC Member
IMHO you are absolutely correct.
The Dowty and Stat-O-seals are distinctly different and the Stat-O-Seal is the one you need.
Having said there there is a lot of confusion in the parts supply industry and the names are used almost interchangeably whereas strictly speaking the two seals are quite different in function and appearance.

oexing

VOC Member
Funny to watch all that discussion when an extremely simple way to secure and seal the tap is just application of liquid sealer on the tap thread. Did that for decades with the taps and no lock nuts on them. I´d think most here got some thread lock at home that can be used on taps as well. No need for any nylocs and other silly safety means to keep the bike together, we are not talking aviation after all. These guys are somewhat limited to saftey items that can be visualy checked like saftey wires, tab washers, split pins and all.

Vic

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Hi,

Some great discussion glad it was not just me that struggled with these.

From the responses, looks like the Triumph method of using the Stat-o-seal (an evolution of the Dowty...) and a thin flat washer between the locknut and seal as per Triumph method is an accepted method, and the exact parts are listed on the feked site below. I dont think sealant is needed on the threads with this method..

Interestingly the feked site calls them Dowty but they look more like Stat-o-seal type and they cross reference to the Triumph part number mentioned earlier. If I am not mistaken the Stat-o-seal has a more o-ring style rubber which protudes and gives more squish when tightened:

Seals (Triumph part number 70-7351):
thumbnail_IMG_1703-600.jpg

Flat washer (Triumph part number 83-0002):
w0002b.jpg

Thanks for everyones help!

Regards,

Julian
I like the look of these washers. Thanks Julian.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Had a couple of those pet cocks fail in the past, some leak by on new ones is common.
They look to be adapted gas taps which incidentally fit and do the job.
Who said I was a cheap date?

I find welding them onto the tank very effective way to seal the bugger, but make sure the tank is brimming full of petrol before taking the torch and brazing those monkeys into place.
PS If anyone finds my nose could they post it back please..