Control Cables

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Over the last few years a few of us in the Motor City Section have been helping a local club member restore his Series A single. When Doug purchased the bike in large lumps a small supply of spares came with it. Among the spares were new control cables, clutch, front brake, throttle, choke, magneto advance/retard. Now rather than the outer sheathing of the cables being completely black in color, these are rather multi colored. The sheathing of the outer cables are constructed of woven threads of different colors, though mostly black, there are reds, yellows, and a few other colors mixed in. Doug is trying to bring the machine back to standard, he doesn't get on the forum and has asked me to inquire anyone knows if these are the standard cables that would have been on the machine at time of manufacture or should the outer sheathing be entirely black? If these cables aren't standard parts are they possibly period replacements?
Thanks
Steven

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As far as I know control cables were all black and did not have any multi coloured woven covering or any type of woven covering.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Never heard of that one before.

However, if you want to use the new made-up cables (and why not indeed) the easiest solution to convert them to black is to purchase some suitable diameter and lengths of black "heat-shrink". a minute or so with a hairdryer or heat-gun will give you the original look you need - and extra protection too. (It might stiffen them a little though and limit the available bend radius).

Peter B

vibrac

VOC Member
Some BSA cables were woven with a red tracer especially those heavy ones like back brake

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have some NOS rear brake cables that are similar to that description if I remember correctly and was wondering the same thing. I’ll post a photo next time I have my hands on them.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Mine are different than your description.

Brake cable.jpg

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Mine are different than your description.

View attachment 27290
Cyborg,
Thanks for posting that photo. I haven't actually seen them. My description was how they were described to me verbally. I'm going to call Doug and see if he can send me some photos for comparison. Then we can all have a good gander at them and see how they compare to your's.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats the one I called a BSA one, I bought years ago from Bert Jeffrys in Great Missenden for my front brake cables on the twin racer after Ron Kemp had poured scorn on the flimsy things available from Harpers

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Doug sent me these photos of the cable that came with his A. You can see that there some cables that appear to have Vincent like adjusters on them. We were wondering if these are in fact Vincent cables or after market Vincent cable or what? Does anyone have any idea what the cable with the yellow tracer in it might be from?
Thanks
Steven

DSC00282.JPGDSC00283.JPGDSC00284.JPGDSC00287.JPG

DSC00276.JPGDSC00278.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00286.JPG
    DSC00286.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 33