FT: Frame (Twin) Comet's FT163

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bring it over, I'll weld it up for you, have done a few......

Heat it and clean it, rinse and repeat (until no oil appears). Tig with the softer of the two common rods, I don't remember the number.....

Oh, and grind it back a bit to give some space to fill with weld.....

I know

Absolutely of no help,

I have some 4943 if you want to give it a try. I haven't tried welding any castings. You must have to do that rinse repeat cycle a few times. My Comet cylinder muff is like an oilite bushing.
Wash.jpg

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Glad to see I'm not alone in using the dishwasher that way. I did that with both my heads recently after grinding in the valves. Funny enough SWMBO didn't have an issue with it.

Viny4

VOC Member
The early Bs were threaded in the Cowl. I mentioned this to PEI saying that I thought it was better than the threaded stud. He didn't think so.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
A couple of things to note: If you can set it up accurately it is worth bushing the holes through which the stud F122 passes as otherwise you may hear a mysterious untraceable rattle in transit. Go minimum o.d. to tidy up and bush with Loctited bronze. If you use the propstands to lift the front wheel you must slacken off the through stud and the top mounting setscrew through the tab from the crankcase stud. This setscrew should be 1/4" B.S.F. nowadays most are not. You may as well helicoil it back to standard while you are at it.
Bit of an overcomplication, a good slosh of Araldite on the through rod solves any rattles that you might have,
has worked for me 50+years. Is it Marcus Bowden that says KIS (keep it simple)

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Bit of an overcomplication, a good slosh of Araldite on the through rod solves any rattles that you might have,
has worked for me 50+years. Is it Marcus Bowden that says KIS (keep it simple)
KISS principle. Extend the thread (1/4" BSF) on the thru pivot rod F122 comet, FT155 twin, then fit a washer and nut on the rod INSIDE of the cowl, both sides and tighten against the INSIDE of the cowl lug; secure those nuts with loctite. Vola the cowl 'legs or lugs' are now fully supported and it's a doddle to tighten up the outside retaining nuts without any risk of fracturing the cowl or having any rattles. See next edition of OVR

P1010829.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
Eagle-eyed people looking at that picture of Ben on last month's cover will notice there is no FT163 the rain was so intense that the race was called off after 3 laps Ben said the bike never missed a beat although the main straight was awash like riding an Amanda and the flow on Mansfield moved the back wheel
It makes you wonder what use the cowl is.
NB the BTH coils were mounted on the front sidecar lug by the steering head

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think Vincent's always look more attractive with the mag cowls fitted, whether that be B, C, or D, irrespective of whether they serve any practical function.