Comet oil level

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
thanks for the info and one last question.... what would you refill it with? Could I use Castrol 50?
My Oil 101:
  • SAE 50 is a bit on the heavy side unless you are living in a very hot climate. It will also make it harder to turn over when cold.
  • Multigrade mineral oils are available almost anywhere. i.e. Most petrol stations and probably many supermarkets will have some so if you are away from home and have an oil problem you can fairly easily get something to top up the tank.
  • Virtually any modern mineral or synthetic oil you buy will be better than oils available when your Vincent was produced.
  • Do not top up your oil level unless the engine has been running for a while or preferably taken for a short ride around the block a few times. You only have to put too much oil in once to realise that when the oil from the sump is returned to an overfilled tank the surplus comes out of the filler and runs down over the engine. (Almost a right of passage, how many people can say they have not done this at least once? ;))