Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Actually it's the otherside that shows he construction better with the pegs and surrounding material I would post a photo but it's fitted to my bike at the moment
One thing is strange the Comet spec calls for 18 Ah battery while the twin calls for 14Ah no mention of more important CCA

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Actually it's the otherside that shows he construction better with the pegs and surrounding material I would post a photo but it's fitted to my bike at the moment
One thing is strange the Comet spec calls for 18 Ah battery while the twin calls for 14Ah no mention of more important CCA
Alton website says:
"We do not supply the battery. We recommend battery YTX16BS (150 x 87 x 161) or YTX14BS (150 x 87 x 145). "

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I also see He says use the Valve Lifter now.
François Grosset says you don't need to use the valve lifter with his twin starter so I usually don't, although I can't see any reason not too other than more use of what some think is a fragile decompressor system.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
What about "A" Comets? Too much frame and engine plates in the way? Instead of motor being inboard, why not have it outboard of the primary case? Sorry only questions.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Sorry to jump in -Q' Depth of that Sprag clutch sitting on the Alton ESA, looks to bolt onto to it at two points, while held in place on the drive spline. And what's the depth of the Alton ESA?

Really curious as to the potential of mixing the belt drive/Newbie etc... with one of these starters.

vibrac

VOC Member
Owning a couple of belt drive singles I am a great fan however with regard to electric start apart from space considerations you have a chalk and cheese situation with a rubber belt needing to run in air and a starter chain that needs lubrication
As regards space I doubt that with a 30mm belt you have room for the sprag. The alton esa and primary sprocket is about 1/3 the width of a pully and the overhang for the starter shaft would be too long
So if you want an ES Comet you have a chain drive Comet as well.
PS my build is with a Honda Clutch

vibrac

VOC Member
while all this diversion into BMW and other cush drives is interesting (and has been covered before https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/threads/engine-shock-absorber.11387/#post-105487)
we were looking at the new electric start on the Comet and initial comments on its construction. Having spent some time with it I think its a more robust addition than the twins ES. Since in my case its going to be turning a big bore engine with circa 10:1 we should be able to get some good feed back. Of course since I shall be happily using a decompressor to start it ( which does not involve knitting needles oil leaks and dropped rollers:D) it should be OK in terms of load on the fly wheel (remembering the stories about Velo flywheels) but then again I seem to recall Velo flywheels are strange narrow jobbies with tapered shafts (I do hope that does not start another diversion o_O)
Time and use will as always give us a result.