Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that what ever happens, time is important. Me for instance, my riding days are limited as I'm 80 now and I don't know how many years riding I have left.
Regards,
Dave
On my Comet, I have no valve lifter, As long as yours is a first kick Starter, What I do is put it in first gear, Roll it back on compression, Put it In to neutral, And it is an easy Kick, And mine has 9 to 1 Piston and Mk2 Cams, I think it will be a long time before an Electric start is ready to buy, They have been talking about it for ages. Good Luck, Bill.

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On my Comet, I have no valve lifter, As long as yours is a first kick Starter, What I do is put it in first gear, Roll it back on compression, Put it In to neutral, And it is an easy Kick, And mine has 9 to 1 Piston and Mk2 Cams, I think it will be a long time before an Electric start is ready to buy, They have been talking about it for ages. Good Luck, Bill.
I'm told the Spares company are going to sell one which should be interesting.
Regards,
Dave

Chris Launders

VOC Member
It seems to me that a Comet electric start is always going to be an expensive and complex item, most of the components for the drive system can be sourced from existing bikes or commercially but it is the mounting hardware that is going to be the problem, I can't see how it can be done easily without something like a new inner chaincase which would require casting and machining. I don't have a Comet so cannot really help with investigation. Would it be possible to start one with a drive via the dynamo pinion ? could a piggy back starter/dynamo be designed ?

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It seems to me that a Comet electric start is always going to be an expensive and complex item, most of the components for the drive system can be sourced from existing bikes or commercially but it is the mounting hardware that is going to be the problem, I can't see how it can be done easily without something like a new inner chaincase which would require casting and machining. I don't have a Comet so cannot really help with investigation. Would it be possible to start one with a drive via the dynamo pinion ? could a piggy back starter/dynamo be designed ?
Thanks for your input. I'm told the club is going to sell one so that might be the thing to look at.
Regards,
Dave

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
Hi
the starter has been fitted to a few machines here it is on Ian Savages Comet today
the first you tube is of it being used
(Added correct links to Youtube. BigEd)
the second is a close up of the instalation

speak to Bob for details on price and availability

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
These do not work for me. I get a message saying that they need an email address to ensure safety and send me a password but it has failed three time on both files?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I also got the request for an email address and registration. I don't know why as it said my system admin required it. Which it doesn't. Very strange. But not one to let that kind of BS stand in my way I circumvented that request by:

If you go to youtube and enter the either L3D3RIIkEWc or qdtoYq0ZTqw in the search window the videos will show up or even copy and past the whole link into the search window they will show or finally query Vincent Comet Electric Start in the search window.

The "qdto" is short at about 10 seconds and focuses on the starter placement. The starter is unobtrusive and doesn't look out of place. I like it.
The other video is longer and the Comet starts readily on the button. The extra stuff in the primary doesn't seem to make the Comet any noisier than one without, which is what I was curious about.
So this is now firmly on my wish list.
Steven