Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The BSA starter, like the Hamon starter drives something in the region of the ESA from the inside of the primary chaincase with the motor nestling into the arris between the curves at the bottom of the crankcase and the gearbox. This should allow a virtually invisible starter setup. Obviously the charging system and battery will have to be up to it.
I realise that a lot of time and effort will need to be put into finalising design, prototyping and production which is why I was suggesting finding someone else to do it but with the club membership ageing and being more likely to ride their Comets than their heavier twins I think that there is probably a market.
What we need is sufficient interested purchasers to risk investing the price of a twin starter to finance the development and prototyping and hopefully a batch to make their investment worthwhile.
If anyone does want one that much they could PM their expressions of interest to me and if there is sufficient interest I will endeavour to coordinate the next step.
I'm very interested in the project but as you quite obviously said we are an aging group and our opportunity to ride is getting shorter so the time frame is important. It also has to be financially viable too. But I am interested.
Regards,
Dave

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe that the spares company is about to test an electric start for evaluation before stocking it
It is a complex item and needs to be right so watch the web site

nkt267

VOC Member
I thought that they were available now, exactly wher efrom I'm not sure but i've seen one fitted recently in a workshop in Norfolk..It uses a modified inner chaincase with all the gears built into it.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Let us see what the price will be if the Spares Company does go ahead and produce a starter kit. They have to make a profit, charge for delivery and then charge VAT. If a member, or members, can get together and produce a reliable system then it will be significantly cheaper than the VOCSC can possibly make it. Consider that a Walkernator, although not looking standard, produces about double the power of an Alton and costs about two thirds. Clearly we need the Spares Company but that should not deter competent members from producing items, which do not clash with those available from the VOCSC, for the rest of us.

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I think that what ever happens, time is important. Me for instance, my riding days are limited as I'm 80 now and I don't know how many years riding I have left.
Regards,
Dave