Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've seen electric start conversions for the 998cc twins but not for the Comet single. Have you any info on this subject.

As a one legged rider, electric start would be a wonderful change for me.

timell

Forum User
VOC Member
I've seen electric start conversions for the 998cc twins but not for the Comet single. Have you any info on this subject.

As a one legged rider, electric start would be a wonderful change for me.

I will be selling a Bob Dunn Comet electric start very soon, if you’re interested?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you search Hamon starter here, there are a lot of teasers over the years, but his website currently just lists starters for the lesser brands.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have a Bob Dunn conversion, you'll note that I don’t call it a starter, on a bored and stroked Comet. It has started my Comet occasionally but I would not consider it to be reliable.
A system was developed for pre-unit BSA twins and got good write ups. The engineer who developed it would not consider doing anything for other makes while it was being developed and has, I believe, since sold the project to a BSA spares supplier.
Is it time that all prospective purchasers of a superior starter system got together and found someone to in the club to approach this problem in the way that Time Traveller progressed the steering head modification?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just don't underestimate the time and expense involved. I have now sold about 150 of the steering heads together with springs, AVO dampers, modified lower links and, more recently hydraulic steering dampers. Total cost of these items to the purchasers has been about £150k and as I sell them on a 'not for profit' basis that means that there has been a turn over of about £300k. Note that I did not have to spend that money all at once, it took over ten years, but if starters took off then you might be involved in a similar expense and time scale. It also consumes a large amount of time.

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I will be selling a Bob Dunn Comet electric start very soon, if you’re interested?
Hello, yes! I would be very interested in an electric starter for my bike.
Are you able to give me any info for me to consider? Thanks for letting me know of your plans.
Regards
David Townsend

davidd

VOC Member
It is quite easy and inexpensive to make an electric starter for a modified Comet, but that is not what owners want. Everything must be stock and barely visible (Bob Dunn's item excluded!) That is wildly expensive and time consuming!

Bill Norton made one about a decade ago for his Cooper Car with a Comet engine. It was inexpensive and it is still working well. He had the advantage of the engine having a dry clutch (Newby) and a blank slate for engine plates. It was not designed with the car, but added afterwards because the officials did not want him bump starting the car near the line.

I have contemplated putting a starter on a street Egli Comet I am working mostly because it is already a modified Vincent. The starter, at $40, is one of the highest HP starters available (used on Solo roller starters) and the ring gear is about $100. I am certain the project will present lots of challenges, but the modified bike has opened the door for this kind of project. I don't think it could be attempted on a stock bike.

David

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Comet Electric Starter

Hervé Hamon has just sent me some photos a couple of weeks back of the electric start fitted to the inside of the comet chain case. It looks extremely well made in usual Herve tradition. I suggest you drop him a line and I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

Phelps.
That sounds very interesting.
Do you have any contact details I could use please.
Regards,
Dave

b'knighted

VOC Member
The BSA starter, like the Hamon starter drives something in the region of the ESA from the inside of the primary chaincase with the motor nestling into the arris between the curves at the bottom of the crankcase and the gearbox. This should allow a virtually invisible starter setup. Obviously the charging system and battery will have to be up to it.
I realise that a lot of time and effort will need to be put into finalising design, prototyping and production which is why I was suggesting finding someone else to do it but with the club membership ageing and being more likely to ride their Comets than their heavier twins I think that there is probably a market.
What we need is sufficient interested purchasers to risk investing the price of a twin starter to finance the development and prototyping and hopefully a batch to make their investment worthwhile.
If anyone does want one that much they could PM their expressions of interest to me and if there is sufficient interest I will endeavour to coordinate the next step.