Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Guys
This thread/discussion is about the new Comet starter that has been in development for several years and not about the merits of BMW engine shock absorbers which is a separate discussion as pointed out by Vibrac and which can be discussed here:

Simon

(Well said Simon. I have tried to filter out posts more relevant to ESA's and moved them to the above link. There are some references to belt drives there too. Big Ed.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There seems to be two (or more) topics here.

Just to be clear the Alton electric starter/ESA combination IS NOT suitable for use with a belt drive primary. It was designed around a Burman clutch but works equally well with a Conway's Honda clutch. The 'redesign' of the ESA by Alton (see posts #9 and #11) was a necessary change in order to ft all the bits onto the mainshaft while staying within the confines of the original primary cover.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Just back from a long run with my Chum Dave who has the first (only) Comet in Australia with the new Alton starter fitted.

Daves bike has a TP 600cc kit and is running a compression ratio of 10:1. He is using a 18 Ah battery.

The Alton starter has no difficulty in starting the motor, even when the decompressor IS NOT used. I must quickly add that ALTON recommends that the decompressor is ALWAYS used when using the electric starter.

take a look here

Detailed installation and operating instructions are now on the ALTON website

vibrac

VOC Member
I have fitted a 12 Ah battery because I have a new spare one that came off the Alphabet twin when I surrendered it to Ben for a racer. It should be man enough from what I have seen and its not to big. I had a look at the recommended 18Ah job (YTX 20L-BS) and it goes across almost to the chain guard.
A Lithium would be my choice if I was starting from scratch.
I would have had it all done by now but the racer keeps pinching my time :confused: