Misc: Ignition Coil ignition for my C series Egli twin

Trev Birkbeck

Forum User
VOC Member
Just putting my Egli back on the road and am keen to use coil ignition rather than a mag. When I bought it in 1987, it had not been run for 13 years and after changing plugs, setting points etc, it started second kick. It was a Slater bike and it used a modified 4 outlet car distributor - I changed to a mag when I raced it for a few years to save weight of batteries, etc.
I still have the original parts and may go back to using them but I was wondering if members had information on more modern coil ignition systems.
Trevor Birkbeck

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Welcome Trev, I would stick with what you have, As long as you have some sort of charging setup.
If you google "Distributor Doctor", Down in Devon, He has loads of stuff, Nice bloke to deal with,
But he does not have the Cam for a Vin' Twin,
He tells me they don't call the one for a Vin', Clockwise ??, Like we say from the Drive side.
Good Luck, Bill.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Just putting my Egli back on the road and am keen to use coil ignition rather than a mag. When I bought it in 1987, it had not been run for 13 years and after changing plugs, setting points etc, it started second kick. It was a Slater bike and it used a modified 4 outlet car distributor - I changed to a mag when I raced it for a few years to save weight of batteries, etc.
I still have the original parts and may go back to using them but I was wondering if members had information on more modern coil ignition systems.
Trevor Birkbeck
Welcome back Trevor.

I met you at the first Cadwell VOC I attended in the 90s with my Egli.
I well remember your bike especially the 8 leading shoe front brake.
Glad to hear it is coming back to life.
Cheers Bill

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I've been quiet recently about the Power Arc ignition we have adapted to Vincent singles and twins since we have been building a new house and have had some of the small inventory of units in storage. We have moved in now and I have even got my machine tools delivered though I am still getting organized. In any case, if anyone is interested in the optically triggered and programmable multispark option described in the above thread please send me a PM with your email address by starting a conversation and I can send you some details.

Ron Franklin

Albervin

VOC Member
While a coil ignition can give excellent starting, ignition adjustment etc. it is totally dependent on a good battery and reliable charging system I know times have changed since I first started riding Vincents but I still like to seperate my ignition system from my charging system. A magneto was good enough for MV to win all of those world championships and good enough for me. If you insist on a battery system then the Tri-Spark seems to tick all the boxes.