PT: Exhaust Chroming Re-flanging Exhausts

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you hold the pipe into the c/head, How you want it to finish, With the fixing bolt in the pillion plate,
Mark the pipe as it enters the head, That tells you what angle you have to make the flange,
Sometimes you have to tweak it a bit.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I do a bit as Bill suggests but put the pipe all the way in and install the nut without a flange on the pipe. I then mark around the pipe at the outer end of the nut with a black marker. Take it apart and hold the nut where the marker line is and mark the open end. I then just tack the flange in a couple of places and refit to see how it goes. Usually get it first time but worst case is one tack pops and needs a slight angle change and a re tack.

Somer

VOC Member
Like Robert says, the old bearing separators work great. After re-chroming, braze it on. Any discoloration is hidden by the exhaust nut.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have, I hope, undone my last exhaust nut in the paddock. I have always felt its a recipe for disaster
I am going to fit two short stubs and springs to the nut fins and hooks on the pipes that slide over the stubs.
Then it will be a matter of whipping off the pipes to get to the engine. Where we want the pipes is down the center-line of the engine but time is getting short.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
........... I am going to fit two short stubs and springs to the nut fins and hooks on the pipes that slide over the stubs.
Then it will be a matter of whipping off the pipes to get to the engine. .....
Another job I 've been meaning to do for a few years, maybe this year.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As David said, Just find a sharp hard edge, To bash against, And go round a little at a time,
You will make the flange too thick to go in the head, So just trim off a bit with a Flap wheel in a 4. 1/2" angle grinder.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have, I hope, undone my last exhaust nut in the paddock. I have always felt its a recipe for disaster
I am going to fit two short stubs and springs to the nut fins and hooks on the pipes that slide over the stubs.
Then it will be a matter of whipping off the pipes to get to the engine. Where we want the pipes is down the center-line of the engine but time is getting short.

When using a stub, you have the option of chucking it in the lathe. I ran a bead (stainless) around the end and then machined it to make the flange. Hopefully the stainless won’t object to the vibration too much. I was told by a seller of exhaust springs (several brands) that he personally has had the best results with Akrapovic springs. In a discussion with David, he highly recommended running safety wire through the springs to keep them from imbedding themselves into the rear tire.

3C67F958-4D43-4CDC-BBBA-52541EA6D0B4.jpeg

sampick

Forum User
VOC Member
On a twin, is it possible to remove the front exhaust nut for rechroming the pipe and then re-flange the nut back on?

has anyone done this before?
It is possible to re-chrome the pipe with the nut on, I have just had mine done.

Last edited by a moderator: