PT: Exhaust Chroming Re-flanging Exhausts

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On a twin, is it possible to remove the front exhaust nut for rechroming the pipe and then re-flange the nut back on?

has anyone done this before?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Definitely possible provided that it has not been done too many times before. Remember that you will only be shortening the front pipe by about 5 mm so you can check before dismantling whether that would make a difference by taking out the two nuts and slackening the short to long joint down by the big end quill and then moving the pipe about. Remember that although the pipe might be shorter by 5 mm the port is at about 45 degrees to the horizontal so only about half of the cut is vertical and the other half vertical.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
It can be done, but be sure the chrome plating firm will do the pipes first. Any dirt, soot, oil, etc., that is in the pipe might cause them to decline the job as it will end up in the bath and they won't be too happy about that. Also the stuff will effect the outcome of the job. When my father restored our Shadow he had the pipes rechromed. We tried to clean them inside and out as best we could. The chrome shop accepted them and the job looked good. When we fired up the bike the first time after the rebuild a huge blister appeared on the pipe. Obviously they weren't as clean as we all thought they were.
Few years back I bought new pipes and silencer from the club when the the baffles blew out of the old silencer.
Steven

Robert Watson

VOC Member
They don't even need to be stainless. Steel ones are just fine, and all covered up by the nut. I have never had one to try but I have been told that the bearing separators from the original crowded roller big ends work well.

davidd

VOC Member
I have never used a flanging tool because they never seemed to fit a curved pipe very well. I sand the chrome of the end of the pipe and use a hammer while holding the edge of the pipe against a heavy steel table. The trick is not the flanging, but getting the angle of the flanging and the location of the flanging correct.

The last chrome pipe I did I welded on a bearing separator to the end instead of hammering. You still have the issue with the angle and location. Despite the problems, it seems that if you are careful about the positioning of the flange or weld it works pretty well. I have never had to redo one. The weld is hidden by the nut.

David