FF: Forks Brampton Details

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Let’s get into talking about how many bikes left the factory post war with Brampton forks?

I assume (makes an ass out of you and me) that it was a three year window for the Brampton forks. How many people have bakelight knobs? How many have cast aluminum? Is there any other features from fork to fork.

Best

Cyborg

VOC Member
Cast aluminum on mine x 2 although one has most likely been replaced at some point. One is held onto the FT223 with the original set screw as per M030 and one is pinned on. The one that is pinned on, doesn’t have the hole for the set screw, so that’s what leads me to believe it’s not original. Also has a few hash marks from pliers, so wishing I hadn’t looked. Something else for the list.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Cast aluminum on mine x 2 although one has most likely been replaced at some point. One is held onto the FT223 with the original set screw as per M030 and one is pinned on. The one that is pinned on, doesn’t have the hole for the set screw, so that’s what leads me to believe it’s not original. Also has a few hash marks from pliers, so wishing I hadn’t looked. Something else for the list.
I read in an old mph that the bake light knobs were on the early bikes. But mikes 49 has them. I wonder when the first batch of aluminum occurred? Does not seem logical that the bake light were only on the 46-47 bikes.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
The top bakelite knob did not have a grub screw and is locked on to the spindle with a round nut FT 241. The bakelite side knob did have a grub screw. Also on mine the side knob spindle threads are not as deep so the spindle bottoms out. I am guessing this reduces the stress on the tiny grub screw.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Can’t shed any light on the year. The one that has the replaced knob is 7/48 and I don’t know the year of the other set.
I’m assuming you are back home (NZ) for the holidays. As far as I know the island is still there. No storms and only news I’ve heard is a pair of Elk decided to take up residence on the island and they rearranged part of the golf course (the elk that is). I think MSVH Y3 sent them our way.
Ps. My top one from 7/48 is alloy and has the round FT241.

Last edited:

John Appleton

VOC Member
Let’s get into talking about how many bikes left the factory post war with Brampton forks?

I assume (makes an ass out of you and me) that it was a three year window for the Brampton forks. How many people have bakelight knobs? How many have cast aluminum? Is there any other features from fork to fork.

Best
I have a 1949 series B. I have owned it since 1962. The Bramptons it came with are fitted with:- Steering damper, Bakelite. Suspension damper, cast aluminum. John.

Rob H

VOC Member
Photo of my dads old B, build Aug 47 which has aluminium knobs, not to say they may have been replaced back in the day

Attachments

• Arch 11c.jpg
    Arch 11c.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 28

Albervin

VOC Member
Because the knobs are easy to break and replace it may be difficult to say what is original and what isn't. Until recently I assumed all Brampton forks had Bakelite damper knobs. My 1948 model has two Bakelite ones and they look original. As far as I know there was no other variation in the forks except for the sidecar top link. The Meteors I have seen have had Bakelite knobs and they are late 1948 to early 1949.

CoreyL

VOC Member
My '50 B Meteor has a bakelite rebound damper knob and and aluminium steering damper knob. Can't vouch for originality...