Brake linings

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is not strictly Vincent but does anyone have any experience with linings for steel drum brakes.
I have made my own drum for the front of my 11.50 Brough, slightly wider, from a steel billet and fitted 2ls commando shoes, machined the linings to suit.
After 6k miles its getting worse not better, done all the usual things, cleaned and emeryied the shoes and drum, no difference.
As I have also done the same for my SS 100 replica I need to sort something out.
So is there a different material for steel drums or will I have to have some iron drums cast.

vibrac

VOC Member
Without getting into Co-eff of friction perhaps its something else, eg: how thick are the drums? some makes of steel drums were said to 'bell out' under pressure (Not being an 'A' man I dare not suggest they were one of those that suffered from that malady)

Magnetoman

VOC Member
2ls commando shoes, machined the linings to suit.
Specifically, what linings are on the shoes? Are they generic aftermarket replacement shoes or something other than that?

The reason I ask is I had Vintage Brake in the U.S. reline shoes for two of my bikes (and will have them do more in the future) and the braking of both machines was transformed. Both bikes now stop with two finger pressure on the lever nearly as effectively as my modern dual-disc machines.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
My Series B has pressed steel brake drums front and rear. Originally I had all of the relined with black 'asbestos free' linings, turned true etc.... and the brakes were just hopeless - even after 6K miles of bedding in. I've now replaced the front lining with an open weave "industrial band brake' material with a significant improvement - they are now just pathetic. I don't want to convert to cast iron drums for originality sake so I'm counting on just riding to the conditions.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you discount the belling steel drum then I suggest you contact saftek. their turnaround is impressive and I have used them for all my racing linings- no connection

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have contacted several brake relining people who say that cast iron and steel use the same material, however I have also found that the steel used in lining brake drums is not simply mild steel. I have also spoken to a couple of other people who have made drums like me from billet mild steel and they could never get them to work, so I look like having some drums cast as this WILL work wheras keep swapping linings until I find some that may work is
just not worth it.
Chris.

timetraveller

VOC Member
All the latest brake drums, both 7" and 8", are made from cast iron billet about a mile from me. The spares company supplies both.