bare alumin(i)um wheel hub

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Word of caution, I had my hubs stove enammelled and the company had a problem with the finish so they ended up with three attempts. After the wheels were rebuilt the spokes became loose because the spoke flanges were not fully seated. This led to a strip and rebuild after removing the paint from the flange seatings.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Word of caution, I had my hubs stove enammelled and the company had a problem with the finish so they ended up with three attempts. After the wheels were rebuilt the spokes became loose because the spoke flanges were not fully seated. This led to a strip and rebuild after removing the paint from the flange seatings.
Consider that part of your learning curve, one never paints mating faces that are bolted together.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
When I was a lad, we used to put a small, loose , leather belt on our bicycle hubs to keep them clean. maybe I'll give it a go .
Years ago I tried this. Unfortunately the leather picks up grit and starts to wear the alloy of the hub but not for long as the projecting brake drum nuts soon destroys the leather belt. Bicycles had harder chromed hubs, no projecting nuts and turned a lot slower.