H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Are tyre clamps necessary?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I use them on rear steel rims, But my front wheels are alloy with the anti slip insides,
Maybe with a Comet and 300 20 front not, And I like lower tyre pressures.

kerry

VOC Member
Wow, so many helpful replies, I have decided to go for 30 psi front and 34 rear with solo riding, the Avon I just took off was 30 years old but unused for most of this period in a controlled temperature store and was almost in perfect still soft condition but who would chance using such old tyres, not me. I will not fit clamps though, I can accept both sides of opinions and as I say again I am grateful for such nice polite advice. Regards to all, Kerry

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have a tyre on the front of my Special, And it won't wear out !,, But I don't go far!.
Just make sure you have an Hydraulic steering damper.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Kerry,
A little drag racing trick you could do, is to put a tip-ex line from the tyre onto the rim, any creep will show as the lines will no longer line up.
My dad did this on the rear of his Comet outfit, and nothing moved in 15 years

HTH
Neil

van drenth

VOC Member
On a black shadow I am fitting new Avon tyres, are tyre clamps needed. ? I wonder because I am told tyre pressures are supposed to be higher with today's modern rubber, ideally at least 28psi front and 32 rear, ? advice please.

I left them out years ago, BTW, I use Bridgestone tyers.

van Drenth JC

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just looked at my New Comet, And found I had not used a bolt in the rear !!, They are 1950 wheels and there was no hole !, But I doubt it will ever go :) .

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
When i do a new tyre i always clean of the assembly "grease" very well before inflating.

I guess its down to the very soft sticky rubber, as the modern tyres are also used as tubeless.

Had one or two flats when at 70 mls/H.
But doubt if they would do any good.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Robert suggested that I should remove the rear wheel tire clamp from my Rapide way back when. He said they make balancing a chore and are a pain when changing tires.
I agreed and promptly removed the clamp.
First ride afterward, second start-off, the wheel spun inside the tire, valve stem ripped off, instant flat!
But it was a hard,ancient, slippery square Avon Safety Mileage.
Switched to soft new Avons and have had no issues since, many years and thousands of miles. By now the bike must have done a couple of thousand start offs without the clamp, often loaded two up.

So if you want to run hard old tires, maybe keep the tire clamp.
Otherwise the clamp isn't needed!
Glen

Last edited: