H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Are tyre clamps necessary?

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On a black shadow I am fitting new Avon tyres, are tyre clamps needed. ? I wonder because I am told tyre pressures are supposed to be higher with today's modern rubber, ideally at least 28psi front and 32 rear, ? advice please.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I'm running Avon AM26s front and rear. I run them at approximately the pressures you quoted. I look at this way if the pressure drops on a tubeless tire on a tubeless rim and the tire creeps round a little, no biggee. If the pressure drops and the tire creeps on a tubed rim, biggee. They were put there for a reason when tire creep was a possibility. Though it might no be probable it is still possible. I know they are a pain, but it doesn't hurt to have them there. I have them on the Shadow, the Comet, the '66 Trophy, '72 Daytona. If it has a tube it has a clamp.
Steven

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Newer tire rubber (softer) and higher inflation pressures. I have never put the rim locks in on either 300 - 20 speedmaster or the old style 19 in rears, or any of the newer (roadrider/runner) tires, and despite some abuse, never spun a tire on the rim. As I mostly ride with a pillion passenger and often with luggage, I do run higher pressures than that.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Kerry,
Over the last 40 years I've fitted various Roadrunners and Roadriders, also Continental Supertwin and Blitz, and Bridgestone Battlax and didn't use security bolts with any of them, although this was on ally rims which have grips on the bead. Pressures? I usually run 32 psi front and 34/36 rear depending on load. Cheers, Stu.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I can't remember the last time I used tyre clamps; it was a loooong time ago!
Peter B

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Well it seems I'm in the minority here. So let me ask these questions. Do your rims have the hole drilled for the rim lock or not? I don't think I would like to leave even the smallest area of the inner tube, excepting the filler, exposed. If the rim is drilled did you do something to prevent a foreign object entering through the hole?
Steven

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I don't use rim locks. I do run the nut on the tube filler neck up toward the valve end and hand tighten it to the cap. That way, if there is any tire creep, the neck will become slanted and signal a problem. As others have said, with new rubber and higher pressures, it just doesn't seem to happen. I think rim locks still have a place on dirt bikes, but that's another story.

ClassicBiker is right that if the rim has a hole, it should somehow be covered. And that cover had better not have anything sharp on the inside. It had also better be very secure, so as not to pinch the tube.

Gary

vibrac

VOC Member
I use rim locks BUT only on my trail bikes. On a long distance trial after the first section I run them as low as I dare without risking an Ello Ello Ello poping up. In that state I run a hundred miles at max speed 40 but mostly lower I have never seen a slippage on the rim and the only blow out I had was when I fitted a MX heavy duty inner tube , go figure!
I dont think its necessary on a road bike but if there was a rapid deflation you might be pleased you had......

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have also run no locks on rims with the holes. The rim tape gets an extra layer underneath where it passes over the hole. Like Gary in the second post above, locknut on the valve stem up against the cap. Only time I have had one move is when rolling out of winter storage with a flat tire and watching the stem kick off at an angle. An easy reset and go get the air bottle.