ET: Engine (Twin) Anyone know what this is?

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We were told some time ago , Of a chap that had a damaged Oil Filter Chamber ?,
And made up a detached one ?,
Looks like the thread is for the big oil filter cap ?,
I don't use an oil filter , I prefer the oil to flow better , And any heavy rubbish will fall to the bottom ! ?.
Cheers Bill.

stevierob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi again, today I have mounted the ‘unit’ on casing bolts alongside the oil filter. I laid out all the breather pipes ( non crimped ends ) that were in a box. The engine has 3 breather caps on the heads. Without modification or bending, the breather pipes fitted to the ‘unit’ as shown in the photos. There was a breather cap in the box and I have screwed that on with a banjo that had a small length of pipe on it. This pipe sits under the primary casing and looks ready to have an extended pipe pushed on it to breathe behind the rear wheel. Does this look feasible as I have no experience of Vincent engines and may be on the wrong track altogether. Putting this bike together is like doing a jigsaw without the picture on the lid , very interesting though.
5DD3550B-F532-460C-8715-C6A96F906289.jpeg
766D3295-F73E-43FA-BE3F-EEE15CDE84AA.jpeg
F8C16870-CF9F-477F-BCC5-0A2BD183A82B.jpeg
09F36A61-B0A8-432E-9583-FD89CE50346F.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would say " Overkill ", Vincents like to breathe ,
The old Race bikes, Fast Ones , Had a Single big pipe out the Timing case, About 3/4",
So for me yours is Too much, But interesting !.
Cheers Bill.
My Comet is a bit Worn / Loose !, But this pipe out the top into a separator is enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083021 (4).jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I agree with the previous three posters. It is interesting but just should not be necessary. It has several banjo bolts and a breather cap which will come in useful at some stage so my recommendation is to consign it to a box of potentially interesting items to be used as conversation starters and remove much of that extra pipe work. The rest of the bike looks like you are doing a nice job.