Misc: Charging Systems Ammeter recommendations

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I`m looking for recommendations for an Ammeter as I don`t seem to be having much luck.
I bought a replica Miller Ammeter & the two photos show how rusty it was after just two nights of rain at the Hever Rally.
I dismantled it & used some of it to modify an old Lucas, one that came with the bike, to look like a Miller one.
Now I`ve done all the wiring the Ammeter isn`t working so assume it`s a duff one.
Is there a decent replica one out there or a reliable unit I could modify like I attempted on the Lucas one ?
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191027_165306.jpg
IMG_20191027_165427.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
The original ammeters had a seal between the glass and the chrome bezel, but I don't think the repo ones do. You could drill a small hole at the lower base to the rear, and you can fit an "O" ring inside the hollow of the chrome bezel and this may help to seal it somewhat. Be careful when you crimp the tangs over, if you push them too hard they will readily break the white plastic body of the unit. The original ones do get condensation build up in them at times as well, but not as much.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dave, I don't know if they are any good, But Feked.com have a good selection and are not a lot of money.
They do a Miller type, But I have gone for a 12 amp one and it has a rubber O ring below the glass.
Good Luck, Bill.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave, I don't know if they are any good, But Feked.com have a good selection and are not a lot of money.
They do a Miller type, But I have gone for a 12 amp one and it has a rubber O ring below the glass.
Good Luck, Bill.

Thanks for that Bill.
I've ordered a cheap Chinese gauge that I'm hoping I can cannibalise to put the guts in the Lucas one I've messed with, it reads to 60 amps which will be good as I've got a Walkernator fitted.
I'd looked at the Feked gauges but couldn't make my mind up if they were the same as what I'd already tried.
Probably going to get one of their Miller Switches as mine has a bit of damage.
What will make you laugh is that while Googling Ammeters I found a site selling old Brit bike stuff & it looks like the Lucas one I've butchered was a rare one worth £200.
Bodge it & Scarper strike again ! :)
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good job it's only Money Dave !, I have a new Walkernator for my 560 Also, So I have gone for a 12 amp one.
Looks better than the one I was going to put on, Which I have had kicking around for years, So I don't know
Where It came from.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Drill a tiny hole in back where it cannot be seen from the front. Carefully seal the glass and any screws into the case with silicone seal before reinstalling the bezel and let if cure for a day or so. Using a syringe, fill the case with clear mineral oil through the tiny hole you made. Laying upside down, gently warm it with a light bulb or hairdryer to get the oil to expel any air bubbles. Fill again. Seal back with silicone seal - poke a little through the hole to make a plug so it stays in place. You will end up with a very steady ammeter.