Aluminium Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am making a sprocket carrier for our twin racer I am making it out of 6082T6 this seems suitable and available in the large size i need commensurate with cost
I am thinking perhaps I should harden it after machining, as I have had some wear in bolt holes on previous items (OK they may have come loose :eek:)
comments welcome

Comet Rider

VOC Member
I'll dig out my dad's "Fletchers" book later
It lists all Aircraft alloy spec's as well as treatment methods

litnman

VOC Member
This sprocket carrier was made for a drag bike from 6061T6 in 1957. It's still in good shape. I don't find much difference between 6061T6 and 6082T6.
Sprocket carrier.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
As tempting it might seem to machine lightning ribs or spokes in the carrier, i recommend you don't. The power pulses from the engine will cause cracks to appear, especially if running a belt primary that offers no shock absorbing from these pulses. I found this within a years use on the racer.........

davidd

VOC Member
Crack 02.PNG

This is Greg's sprocket a year or so after it was put into use. Greg change the design to one without spokes, which was very similar to the design I was using.
100_0035.jpg

Mine, which is above, is 6061, but it has never cracked. Bob Lamour made a batch of these based on my drawing. It replaces the drum, but it is for a 1/4" chain. This design takes the Suzuki RM sprocket, which is an off the shelf item. I use a 7075 sprocket from Sprocket Specialtist. It was a real help getting rid of the Vincent sprocket.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe small holes will be OK, A friend did this for me in 1980, For my L/ning.

Attachments

• Bill Thomas 01.JPG
    Bill Thomas 01.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 35

vibrac

VOC Member
Great minds think alike David :cool: except I am going to use Honda 450 sprockets with the small belt you need 45 teeth or less sprockets on 520 (1/4) chain
I think we are going to use. Composite steel/alloy sprockets they are cheap enough

greg brillus

VOC Member
With the 1000 cc engine I found that with the 1.66:1 Bob Newby primary ratio and a 21 tooth front sprocket, the rear I ran a 44 tooth sprocket on pretty much all the tracks. I originally ran a 41 tooth, but this seemed to bog the bike down too much, and the drive out of corners was poor. I use to shift at around 5800 and max rev's down long straights would hit 6200 but only for a second or so. These were at Philip Island and Eastern Creek in Sydney..........

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
The spares company have a 22 teeth 1/4" gearbox sprocket which will just pass through the G50 plate. One of the first meetings hopefully we will do in 2020 will be Silverstone. I was a young guy the last time I rode a Vincent there so we shall need a good range of sprockets to chose from. luckily scramble guys ( sorry MX) get through a lot of rear sprockets so they are cheap to buy.
The other thing I have never resolved is the 10 hole 5 hole hub quandary they must have had good reason back then to have two types but I can't believe that 5 well fitting cap screws nowadays is not enough or that 10 loose standard hex bolts is insufficent

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Tim are you and Ben running a 4 or 5 speed box.......I found with the 5 speed I never needed to change sprockets, the bike had enough torque and flexibility to cope with small and larger tracks. I know on the smaller capacity singles and the like that you have to change them more to suit the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.