5 Speed Quaife

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I put a Quaife in one of my bikes some 15 years ago, and don't recall any issue with camplate travel. I just put a Terry Prince 5 speed in another Rapide and couldn't get 5th gear. Investigation showed that the camplate was not rotating far enough. So I called Terry to ask what's what.

Oh says he, you need to take the stop pin out. Simple. If you haven't bolted the cases up, fit the cylinders, pistons and heads. Took the whole plot apart and took the die grinder to the bevel gear. Took a couple of tries but managed to grind enough to let it get too 5th and just a bit more.

Only a few hours wasted. No comment with the box saying to check that.

The other one I liked was with the Quaife. There was a note in the box saying that some gear sets had a shim placed on the wrong side of a gear. Took a look - yes it was on the wrong side. Took like 15 seconds to put it on the right side. Always amazed me that it probably took more time to write the note and put it in the box than it would have done just to right the wrong?????

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Pin location

Looks like i'll have to do a dummy run. I have two 5 speeds to do. So really I'd rather do it twice correctly , than three times with doing it wrong.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Do you mean that Vins were literally ridden with effectively 3 speed gearboxes? Lots of clutch slip for some then!
Not quite like that, but the detent pin was never in it`s seated position, just hanging in the V. Then you had the jumping out if you were not careful. Ron Thomas`s twin was like that with his 4 gear, it was found when an electric starter was fitted, he was asked ` ever have trouble with your gearbox ? Ron` his reply ` it jumps out a top, occasionally.

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
I've removed my Quaife 5 speed from the gearbox, somewhat annoyingly I have let all the gears slide off the shafts. This would be no problem as it's pretty clear where all the gears go. Somewhat more mystifying is where the 2 shims should go. They appear to be of slightly different sizes so I would assume it's important where they should go.
Can anyone offer a hint as to where these 2 shims should be placed? I've checked the documents I received with the gearbox, but there's no mention of them.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Steve, are these shims or the thrust washers? I recall two thrust washers but I believe their positions are shown on the Quaife drawing.

I used the bevel stop and spring. The spring does make assembly easier and quite a number of dry runs were needed to get things working. The bevel stop did not present a problem other than that it was in the way once I realized it was necessary to mill ten thou from the face of the crankcase in the ratchet shaft bevel gear pivot area. This transmission has not been down the road yet, but it shifts OK on the bench.
I had an opportunity to ride a Vin with Quaife last week, what a treat to shift, as nice as a good AMC box, and that is pretty good!
Glen

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
More likely thrust washers, I think, as they are too thick to be shims.
The drawing I have has a number of part numbers which don't exist in my gearbox, although some of them do correspond so it's not clear what is what. No parts list either.
There are a couple of things marked as 'A-1E1-12' on the drawing which could be thrust washers, but I'm really not sure.

Ah well, I guess I'll have to assemble it a few times and see if the alignment looks OK.

Cheers - Steve