G: Gearbox (Twin) 1 1/4 20 tpi thread dimensions

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tim, I would like to think that Vincent and I share a similar sense of humour, ever since I first met him and he asked me if I knew what is brown and twists, when I said I had no idea he pinched (there is no easy way to say this) my nipple quite hard and twisted it, I was not overly offended and I doubt that Vincent is by my comment.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Pete
My Bilingualism extends to knowing Araf on the road in Wales is welsh for slow (I dont know what Arabs make of that as Araf in Arabic is some sort of purgatory between Heaven & Hell, not quite what you want to see on the mountain road to Aberystwyth)

erik

VOC Member
Vincent dein Deutsch ist ganz gut ,aber doch noch nicht ganz perfekt.Deshalb hat google translate da Schwierigeiten. Gruss Erik

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi

What you need is one of these .

Nice new Cylinder Head Nuts have a 55 deg angle BUT will not fit onto used or old Cylinder Head Studs since these will have stretched over years of use to 60 Deg on the thread - been there - done that _ burned the T Shirt .
IMG_1146.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I got caught out with new S/S head nuts on old studs, I think our Trev told us to just open the hole in the nut a touch, It worked for me.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
used or old Cylinder Head Studs since these will have stretched over years of use to 60 Deg on the thread -
That can't be the explanation for whatever problem you experienced. For 55-deg. to morph into 60-deg. would require the upper part of the threads to be stretched while the bases stayed the same, despite uniform pressure being applied over the entire thread by the nut. Are you sure you're not mistaking wear for stretch?